Saturday, November 6, 2010

Journal 7: My Personal Learning Network NETS 3,4, & 5

My personal learning network helps me think deeper. My personal learning network deals with critical issues and current events. As a classroom teacher in the outskirts of a metropolitan my PLN keeps me in touch.

Twitter permits discussion and with it I can participate. The hashtag was #edchat, and the discussion seemed spatial. I finally found the focal point and it inclined three themes; teacher observation, subjective assessment, and professional development. The question of discussion was, how ”do we” change teacher observations to be subjective assessments as well as a professional development tool. The discussion had an array of educators from administrators to principals. While I was busing trying to grasp the question posed, the discussion ran its course of ideas from an open discourse between observer and classroom to questioning the observer’s lens. From the discussion I gathered a broad spectrum of educative ideas that resulted in immediate critical thinking.

What also resulted from the edchat were new followers. Doctorjeff is an astrophysicist that I am now following because of the chat. He was able to direct the conversation with questions about subjective assessments and teacher obvservations.

Delicious my webpage of bookmarks keeps me in the loop too. NBC learn on twitter, U.S. News Education on twitter; my network tags make great selections for educators.

I chose to follow certain users that were either teachers or within the world of academics because they have valuable insight to the world of education. Being that the users I am following have much more experience than I do and are in sectors that surround the education department there input about education can be priceless and help me on the path for teaching.

TED, Technology Entertainment and Design has a lot of videos with speakers in education.

I subscribed to The Educator’s PLN, I watched a presentation by Sir Ken Robinson. He presents the need for change in schools. Sir Ken Robinson is an enlightening speaker. He illustrates the concern for school reform with history and compares the current public schools to factories packaging students on an assembly line. He presents the perspective of current academics and states that it was designed for a different age.


My personal learning network is a group of teachers that support, learn, and discuss assessments, professional development, and critical thinking.


This assignment dealt with networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment